The Nissan GT-R Convertible Is Not Okay



I used to have this theory that every car was made better with a convertible top. I know, handling and structural rigidity, blahblahblah, but for normal driving on a day with good weather, nothing beats the sun and the wind.

Let me put it this way: If I offered you a Chrysler Sebring or a Chrysler Sebring convertible, which one would you take? (And no, you can't take the bus instead, smartass.) You'd take the Sebring 'vert, because at the very least you'll enjoy a nice day as you drive your crapcan around town. I say "used to" because I was wrong, and this is the car that proved me wrong: the Nissan GT-R Convertible.

Relax, Nissan has not taken the lessons it learned from the ultra-successful and extremely beloved Murano CrossCabriolet and applied them to their meanest speed machine.

As Autoblog reports, these were done up by Newport Convertible Engineering in Southern California. They've done convertible Range Rovers and Jaguars before, and theur clients in Abu Dhabi requested that they do a droptop GT-R as well. Conversions start at $29,500 for the cheapest one they offer.